Thursday, October 4, 2012

Atta Turk!

Lemme tell you a little somethin' about Turkish airlines: even if they didn't have bright, cheery turquoise seats, they would still be a-MAH-zing. There were about 85 movies to choose from, my salmon dish, not to be downplayed by the plastic plateware it was served on, was flaky, hot and delicious. I received a nifty little zip pouch at hour two that contained a mini-toothbrush and the world's smallest dose of toothpaste, ear plugs (which I tossed), and even a pair of gray fuzzy socks complete with white slipper grips on the bottom. What an airline! I'm also attributing the aforementioned factors to my ability to sleep and the shocking realization, when I was startled awake by the "we're beginning our descent " announcement, that this was the fastest long flight I've ever taken. I didn't even start a crossword. 

(sidenote: there are currently several children speaking Arab-lish to me as I type this - makes for an interesting blog typing experience. And a styrofoam plate of sandwiches and cake just magically appeared at my elbow, courtesy of my new nine year old friend Philopater)

Now let me tell you a little somethin' about the world: there's a lot of people in it. And I'm convinced that at least a third of them were at Istanbul's Ata-turk airport today. I've been to airport after airport after airport in my life and I have never seen so many people milling around. All the black airport seats were occupied, all the cafés were spilling over with every cross-section of humanity, and at a completely arbitrary hour, there was still a line to use the women's restroom. So I, along with another woman who spoke to me like I could understand her (I couldn't), may have used the separate handicap bathroom. Woops. There was more room in there anyway. 

And PS - organization doesn't seem to extend much past the western half of the European continent. Of course, what am I saying? There are airports across the US as well that can't seem to get their act together sometimes. Maybe it's a widespread phenomenon. All I know, is had it not been for the steady trail of people moving towards the plane door, I would have had no idea we were boarding our last leg to Cairo. Good thing I pay attention. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the flight went well and that you are in your new place. Thanks to Philopater for feeding you! A Hug from your Mom!

    ReplyDelete