Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween!

Explaining this holiday here makes me feel like we have some unique traditions of our own. I realized, as I was talking about it, how strange it sounds that children dress up in costumes and go to strangers' homes, knock on the doors and ask for candy. It's the one night of the year that it's acceptable to beg. I don't like the overarching theme of the day, but it was one of my favorite holidays as a kid. Of course. What kid wouldn't love a night where they receive a year's worth of free candy. My brother and I used to have contests as to who got the most. And then Mom would confiscate it all like a jerk and only hand it out once a day, like some cruel candy dictator.

Those are my memories of this holiday. Candy and dressing up like a blond starship warrior. My favorite was the plastic mask of her face with holes cut out for the eyes and mouth. I liked to stick my tongue through the slit even though the plastic sometimes cut. I feel like it got stuck once, and then Mom told me to stop. Constantly ruining my fun, that one. (love ya mean it!)

Needless to say, the Egyptians know nothing of Halloween. But Samia at the guesthouse told me that I could come and knock on the doorframe tonight and if I say trick or treat, she'll give me some candy. Which makes me smile. If there's a pumpkin to carve when I get back this afternoon, my holiday will be complete. Just thinking of how this past time will be received makes my smile even bigger. 

1 comment:

  1. When we were in India we carved watermelons b/c we couldn't find pumpkins. Plus was you could use the meat as watermelon aqua fresca. In Kenya people were shocked that we would use food as decoration, but we did it anyways and then I took the meat and made pumpkin pies. Good to hear that you are getting the lay of the land.

    ReplyDelete