Tuesday, February 5, 2013

En Route

Color me sheepish. I was so occupied staring out the window at the huge expanse of northeastern coastline that the flight steward had to throw two napkins at me to get my attention for the beverage service. I had caught his eye when he was at the row behind me, so I have no idea how I managed to zone out and forget that we would be next. He flashed a grin at  me though, and I laughed and said, "Sorry," and for two seconds we were besties. 


And then... I arrived at JFK. I am a veteran traveler and mere hours after discussing with my mom how good I am at navigating strange airports (yes I'm awesome), I found myself wandering around JFK Terminal 7 like a dingbat with a broken radar. There were no signs indicating the location of my second airline, so I had to go back to my arrival gate and, shock and horror, ask.  

"Oh you can take the Air Train. Get off at Terminal 4. Just follow the signs here to Ground Transportation."

Okie dokie. Which I'm pretty sure means I have to go back through security. Oh delight. But before I can get to the metal detectors. the pre-security kid who appeared to be half my age informed me that I had to exchange my US Airways boarding pass for one issued by Egypt AIr. As if my joy wasn't complete by having to re-go through security. Be still my heart, JFK! It's not as if my carry-on bags weigh upwards of 20 pounds apiece. No way! Light as a feather. I can think of nothing more I'd like to do than haul them over every inch of this place to ensure that they get the full tour. 

I'm rewarding myself by sitting at a bar-top table at an Irish pub, partaking of the last hard cider I'll be able to get my hands on for a while. A little girl just walked by wearing multi-colored striped leggings and pink, fuzzy boots. I am being completely serious when I say I wish I could. No one ever appreciates the freedom of fashion one has as a child. 

Oh! I almost forgot! My plane has been delayed by an hour! I do love Hall A... good thing I get to spend a lot of time here. 

1 comment:

  1. How old are you? And what is Hall A?

    So it looks like you were lost in Terminal 7 looking for your gate? Or did you know you were looking for Terminal 4 and just didn't know how to get there?

    Yeah, JFK can be confusing. I used it a few times last year. I met people for a bit and then had to re-enter the airport so I had the same experience; although it was because I left the airport. The other times I did have to go through security again. I thought it had to do with an international flight with it's first US entry being NYC but not being my final destination. Not sure. There are airports that let you do that without going through security again, I think. Things change so fast.

    ReplyDelete