Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mo Gamma Gamma

It seems a bit silly to say the traffic was crazy today, because duh, it's Cairo. I'm sitting at the guesthouse after my slightly harrowing trip to the Mogamma (oh place of wonders and delight that is the dense crush of foreigners in every square inch of space around me). The Mogamma is always a circus ride of back and forth between windows, waving money above the heads of everyone in front of you like somehow the guy behind the glass is going to call you out even though you're 4 human bodies deep in the pulsing sardine can. Luckily, as a female, I do receive some sort of privilege as there is a man that just takes the stamp fees from women. Some guy tried to shove his money around in front of me and the official was having none of it. He just ignored the man's outstretched hand and beckoned me to hand over my guinea. Hurrah! Take that, you pushy menfolk. 

What kind of visa they will decide to bestow upon me is yet to be determined. I have a contract of work this go round, but who knows whether this will carry any weight to get me a longer term of stay, or if they'll just blithely ignore it and issue the standard 3 months I received last time. I have to return tomorrow to discover the outcome. If the latter scenario happens, I'm scootin' my tail off to Malta at the end of the term, and re-entering via Cairo International Airport, a method which is slightly more expensive yet not involving nearly as much physical contact with strangers. Which in my book is a HUGE pro. 

Arriving back at Shera Ramses (RAMASEES!!) and our neighborhood corner stand, I took note of and considered the fruit smoothie concoction chock full of vitamins and goodness, but still opted for the can of Coke and sugar wafers, making yet another bad decision regarding crap that I have put into my body over the last week. Ehh, bygones. If someone offers me sugary tea, chocolate on rice pudding, and a tub full of Koshary, who am I to refuse? It's all about accepting people's hospitality. If the visa gurus are kind, and I'm to stay here as long as I am hoping, familiarizing myself with the intricacies of courtesy is going to be a must. 

1 comment:

  1. Ramasees!!! Hahaha! Aww, Jenn! I hope all goes well with getting your visa :-) In addition, I hope all is well with you out there! Keep writing and can't wait for your next visit home! Miss your face! Would've been great to have you here this coming weekend as I'm going out latin dancing for my b-day :-) Will dance a little extra just for you (even if my feet do hurt)!

    ReplyDelete